Monday, October 15, 2012

NHL 13: Build of the Week -- Grinder

I teased this earlier on Twitter but I really do think this may be the One True Build™* for NHL 13. I will list the reasons in a minute but first here is the build:

Grinder, Legend 2
5'10"
180lbs
11" skates
Regular Flex
2nd Curve from the top

Deking: 80
Hand Eye: 82 (+8)
Off Awareness: 75
Passing: 70
Puck Control: 78 (+5)
SS Accuracy: 70
SS Power: 65
WS Accuracy: 76 (+8)
WS Power: 78 (+5)

Aggression: 81
Body Check: 84
Def Awareness: 85
Discipline: 80
Faceoffs: 65
Fighting: 65
Shot Blocking: 66
Stick Check: 85

Acceleration: 84 (+8)
Agility: 80 (+8)
Balance: 65
Durability: 65
Endurance: 80
Speed: 84 (+8)
Strength: 65

From memory those checking/aggression numbers seem a bit off compared to what I was getting in game but it is maybe a point or two so it doesn't really matter. Everything else seems in order.

So what makes this the One True Build™? Let's cut right to the chase and look at athletics. Even at Legend 2** you have skating attributes better than any other player type in the game. Specifically acceleration and speed are both two points beyond what you can get out of any other build. Even agility is within two points of every other build and better than some. But back to speed and acceleration. Speed and acceleration are basically everything in this game, they let you get in on the forecheck faster, get back on the backcheck faster, and give you more room and time on offense because you aren't as pressed by people pursuing you from behind. You can actually slow down after building up a gap and get away a decent shot or pass or pull up and set it up in the zone with less worries of being defended.

As you can see on defense it is super solid and you don't need a single boost there unless you play center. For playing center the changes I make are +8 on faceoffs on the stick with just a single +5 wrist shot accuracy. Max stick check, faceoffs, discipline, defensive awareness, and then dump the spares into aggression then checking. Offensively and athletically the build is the same (outside of the lost wrist shot power and accuracy). Notice, you can hit 95 in faceoffs as a center which you can only do as a grinder or a two way forward so it makes a good center build.

Now I am sure you are looking at this offensive setup and saying, "How can you do well with those attributes?" The answer lies in what works offensively for NHL 13. For all intents and purposes you can't score from outside the hashmarks since two tuners ago so you don't need an amazing shot. The passing attribute and passing in general is mostly broken in this version so you don't need great passing. The hand eye is competitive with all other player types. The puck control looks weak but if you can keep the puck away from people you don't really need much. Also, you won't lose the puck from small bumps with this setup even with the base balance and strength. The amount of deking is fine for almost anything. Breakaways are not really a problem for this build especially with the extra speed.

This build is very similar to the dangler in NHL 09. By that I mean the dangler had two extra points of speed that you couldn't get with any other build. Dangler was not the best offensive build but with the extra speed you almost felt like you couldn't play anything else. I think grinder is in the same boat based on the inherent speed and acceleration advantages it has.

* That isn't trademarked I am just having some fun.
** I have already looked at some numbers for Legend 3 and will do a separate post once I hit that level and do some testing but how does 94 speed sound?

10 comments:

  1. I would be very interested to hear your opinions on what hand eye and aggressiveness do since you tend to emphasize them(IE on offense, defence, forecheck). Also what is your opinion on offensive and defensive awareness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand eye helps you catch passes, onetime pucks, and tip shots. I tend to favor aggressiveness over checking (although at this point I basically can nearly max both) just because aggressiveness seems to have the effect of being able to pick up loose pucks better. It also has the effect of delivering and protecting from intimidation. I think the formula is hitters aggression - 30%(of the higher) + 70%(of the lower) of strength/aggression values for defending against intimidation effects.

      I haven't tried defensive awareness higher than 85 but that seems to work OK for getting in lanes and stopping passes. Offensive awareness I could probably use more of. I really feel it when I try a pass that is not in my forward vision cone. I am not sure how I get more on this build though it tops out at 76 with no boosts. I could put more on my stick but I would lose either accuracy or power on my shot.

      Delete
  2. So, i am interested to hear your opinion of Discipline. since im terrible, few of my stuff is maxed out. I tend to do zero discipline as i feel taking an average of 1 penalty a game max is livable to have extra resources for other "goodies"

    I noticed you are consistent with using it. is there more to it than i realize or do you just love to hack and wack. is that why some people can rape me repeatedly away from the play and never get called? :| heh -Xmav

    Also i tend to use more strength because my player gets tossed like a little B*#TCh. maybe im going about this all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always maxed it in previous games because it was cheap. It isn't quite as cheap now but they cap how much you can get so it probably works out about the same. Another issue is you start running out of things to put points in so might as well max discipline. But here is my defensive hierarchy of what I max first to last:

      Faceoffs -- if I play center
      Stick Check
      Discipline
      Defensive Awareness
      Aggression
      Body Check
      Other things

      I have played 260ish club games and have 175 PIMs and I rarely fight so I am at around .67 PIMs per game. Whether that is increased discipline or how I play I am not sure.

      As a quick aside I have noticed that tripping calls from poke checks have gone way up lately. Have to be careful regardless of your discipline and stick check ratings. Also, as you have probably figured out the stick lift button is just terrible this year. I call it the penalty button because when you press it near anyone you tend to get a penalty.

      I am messing around with a bit more balance/strength in my build and I am liking it but I still get destroyed more often then I think I should.

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I was favoring

    Faceoff
    defensive awareness
    stick check
    body check

    i ramped my aggression way up since reading your blog and i think its helping. Im finally starting to score more frequently. I also been following nhlguides.net which was put together very nicely.

    almost no matter what I do, everyone is faster, i need to level up badly. Most people seem to have 100 - 200 games on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need +8 on both speed and acceleration and run the 13 inch skates if you need more speed. You will turn like a truck (helps to play smaller there) but in 2v2 it is important to be fast.

      Delete
  4. So I'd be interested to know what and where the +5/+3's were placed. Hmu on Live Caniac x and let me know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the skating attributes are on skates and helmet. Hand eye and puck control are on the gloves. And the shot attributes are on the stick. There really aren't any other ways of doing it with the boosts I run.

      Delete
  5. Just so you know I've been using most of your NHL 13 builds and they are working great for me. Keep it up, man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I haven't played in nearly two months. Some family issues leading to a lack of free 30+ minutes chunks of time have lead to me playing more things like Black Ops 2 (10 minutes a game and no triple OT). We are thinking about starting back up in January though so I might have some new content then.

      Delete